Episode 102: Awesome Aprons
Awesome Apron by EllynAnne Geisel
Use dishtowels to create a sweet and simple apron.
- 4 dishtowels
- All-purpose thread
- Removable fabric marker
- Seam ripper
- Length of heavy string or cord
- Prewash and press the towels.
- Download the pattern.
- Cut out the pattern pieces from the towels, transferring the marks. If using towels with a border design, align the borders as desired on the pattern pieces.
- With right sides together, align the skirt pieces; pin one long edge. Along each towel lower-edge center, remove 2" of the hem stitching; press open. Trim away the hem from the towel upper edge.
- Stitch the long pinned edge; press open. Serge- or zigzag-finish the seam. Refold and stitch the hem along the lower-edge center.
- Fold the pocket raw edges 1/2" toward the wrong side; press. With the right sides facing up, position the pockets on the skirt according the placement marks; pin. Topstitch the pocket sides and lower edges.
- Fold one end of each tie 1/2" toward the wrong side. Stitch 3/8" from the fold.
- With right sides facing, align the waistbands; pin, and then stitch one long edge. Turn right side out; press. Position one tie raw end 1/2" between the waistband layers along one short edge; stitch. Repeat to attach the remaining tie to the opposite waistband end.
- Fold waistband in half widthwise to find the center; pin-mark. Position the waistband back-layer unfinished edge along the apron wrong-side upper edge, matching the centers; pin, and then stitch.
- Fold the waistband upper-layer unfinished edge 1/2" toward the wrong side; press. Position the folded edge along the apron right-side upper edge; pin, and then topstitch along the folded edge.
- With right sides facing, stitch together the ruffle pieces along one short edge; press open the seam. Fold one long edge 1/2" toward the wrong side; pin and then stitch.
- Draw a line 1/2" from the ruffle long raw edge. Set the machine to the widest and longest possible zigzag stitch.
- Place the string along the marked line; zigzag stitch over the string.
- Find the ruffle center point; pin-mark. With right sides facing up, align the ruffle center with the apron lower-edge center; pin. Align the ruffle ends with the apron lower side edges; pin.
- Gently pull the string from each end to gather the ruffle until it matches the apron lower edge. Evenly distribute the gathers; pin generously along the apron lower edge. Stitch 1/4" from the ruffle upper edge.
- Remove the string from the stitching, and then remove the zigzag basting stitches.
Products used in this episode: