Pillowcase Tote by Jodi Kahn
Create a simple and stylish grocery tote from a pillowcase.
The featured tote is 18 3/4”x26”.
- Standard pillowcase (approximately 20”x30”)
- 8 yards of 1/4”-wide double-fold bias tape
- All-purpose thread
- Seam ripper
- Press the pillowcase to remove any wrinkles. Position the pillowcase on a flat work surface. Fold the pillowcase in half lengthwise with wrong sides together, orienting the pillowcase opening along the top and the fold on the right.
- Measure 15” from the pillowcase lower edge; mark on the fold. Repeat to mark 16” from the lower edge along the opposite long edge. Measure 3 7/8” from the upper-right corner; mark on the upper edge. Repeat to mark 3 7/8” from the upper-left corner on the upper edge. The width between the marks should be approximately 2 1/4".
- Connect the fold mark to the corresponding upper-edge mark, using a ruler to aid in drawing straight lines if needed. Repeat to mark the left-side mark to the corresponding upper-edge mark. Cut along the lines.
- Unfold the pillowcase. Using a seam ripper, remove the pillowcase hem along each strap; press.
- Fold the pillowcase in half lengthwise along the previous foldline. Measure 29” from the bag lower edge along the strap; mark. Trim away the straps beyond the mark.
- Unfold the pillowcase. Designate one pillowcase side as the tote front and the other as the tote back. With right sides together, align the front straps; pin. Stitch the straps using a 1 1/4" seam allowance; press open the seam. Fold the raw edges 1/2" toward the wrong side; press. Repeat to stitch the back straps.
- Measure one armhole raw edge. Add 3” to the measurement; record. Cut a piece of bias tape according to the measurement. Unfold the slightly narrower side of the tape; press. Fold one tape end 1/2” toward the wrong side; press.
- With right sides together, position the bias tape over one armhole 3” beyond the strap seam, aligning the raw edges; pin. Stitch along the tape foldline. Fold the tape over the raw edge toward the tote wrong side; pin. Topstitch the tape from the tote right side close to tape fold along the bag wrong side. Repeat to stitch bias tape to the remaining armhole raw edge.
- Turn the bag wrong side out. Push out one lower corner to create a triangular point. Draw a 4"- long line perpendicular to the side seam 2” beyond the corner point. Stitch across the line, backstitching at the seam beginning and end. Stitch a second seam just below the first seam to reinforce the tote bottom. Turn the tote right side out.
Products used in this episode: